Let’s Talk About Obesity
March 4th, 2023 – World Obesity Day
- 1.9 Billion: The number of people around the world that will be living with obesity in 2035.
- 20% Of Children: An estimated 20% of children between the ages of 5 and 19 are classified as obese in KSA.
- 1 in 5 Adults: More than half of the adult population in Saudi Arabia is overweight, and one out of five is considered obese
- 37.2% Increase: The prevalence of obesity in Saudi Arabia has increased to 37.2% among adults. in 2020
How to know if you are obese?
Obesity is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher.
BMI is a measure of body fat based on your height and weight. You can calculate it with the following formula:
If your BMI is 30 or higher, you are classified as obese.
Causes of obesity:
- Poor diet
- Eating large amounts of fast food
- Eating larger portions than needed
- Drinking too many sugary drinks
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Lack of physical activity
How to prevent obesity?
- Reduce the number of calories consumed from fats and sugars
- Increase the portion of daily intake of fruit, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and nuts
- Engage in regular physical activity (60 minutes per day for children and 150 minutes per week for adults)
- Drink enough water
- Monitor your weight regularly
- Consume small amounts of food at every meal